Background

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mrs. Handy

I have always enjoyed working with wood and taking old things and making them into something new. So when we decided to get rid of our large bedroom furniture, and go with something different for when we move, I decided I wanted to attempt DIY-ing (do it yourself). Mainly because I thought it would be fun to see what I could come up with, and it would be a lot cheaper than buying something new.

My first idea was to figure out what we wanted for a headboard. I have watched lots of HGTV over the years and have realized you can make anything look like something else. So I started by looking at Craigslist and I got lucky. Very lucky. Someone close by was selling several old solid oak panel doors out of an old house. All we had to do was go pick out what ones we wanted and we could have them all for $100. We ended up coming home with 6 or 7 panel doors, and a matching pair of french doors. I picked out one I wanted for a headboard, and the rest went into storage...to be used some other day. So this is what the door looked like to start. My great brother-in-law agreed to cut both ends off for me and I was able to use some of his scrap molding to finish off the top of the headboard. After a coat of primer and 3 coats of black paint.......this is what we ended up with! I am so excited to get this all put together and see how it looks. Probably my favorite piece so far.Then I was on a quest for a dresser, and one again I went to Craigslist. I had to travel about 30-45 miles to get this one, but it was worth it. Very clean, only one scratch, and clean lines...just what I was looking for. So once again, a good sanding, primer, black paint, and some new hardware.......makes for an updated modern dresser.

Then for one more dresser. I was looking for a possible chest of drawers, but never found anything I liked. So I went with another dresser, this time with a mirror. I lucked out and found this one in York at Goodwill! It is actually the same brand as the other dresser and also had simple lines, so it matched well. I did the same thing again, sand, prime, paint, and new pulls. I don't have a finished picture as it is already in the new bedroom at the farm. Once we get everything put together and are living there, I will post a finished photo. Total cost of my COMPLETE bedroom upgrade: $200 (that includes a new bed frame because I couldn't find a used one.)

3 comments:

  1. NICE! I love seeing transformations of DIY projects! They turned out so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Can't wait to see it all put together. LOVE the headboard especially!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm . . . just last fall I spent $??? on a new black bedroom set. This blog was a lil late for me but it looks great Wendy!

    ReplyDelete