Background

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Harvest...FINALLY!

On Monday night I finally got to take my first harvest meal to the field. It seems so late in September to me, so I'm sure it seems late to the guys. So I loaded up the big blue van (maybe a picture at a later time) that we serve meals out of, also loaded up both the kids ( a new challenge this year), and headed out to the field. Last year usually only Ben went with me and Carol or someone would keep Madalyn because she was only a few months old. We had a good meal and miraculously Madalyn did quite well.

After supper, Jay Dee didn't have to head out right away in the truck, so we hung around for a bit and let the kids get some excerise. Madalyn was quite intrigued by the little hills, or rows as we call them. But to her, I'm sure they were big hills! Ben enjoyed stomping down the bean stalks that were still standing.
At one point I told Ben he should walk to the pivot. In my mind I was thinking, "oh, good idea Mom, that way it will wear him out and he'll sleep good." I really didn't think he'd even do it. But Ben's thought, "hey mom, how about I run!" And away he went. He kept trying to get Maddie to come with him. She made it a little ways and then turned back. Ben didn't end up going all the way, because he said he got tired, but he made it almost there. He is the little dark blue blob in the middle of the road below. One of I'm sure many pictures to come of the combine and harvest. This is where Royce will spend the next 5 weeks. I also took the picture because of the pretty sky. Harvest time and fall are always such a pretty time of year.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, how fun! I can just smell fall by looking at that last photo. I think scott would much rather be sitting in a tractor right now than in classes- he always gets anxious for harvest and misses being away from it.

    ReplyDelete